3 day class
In this three-day class you will learn the foundational skills needed for basic sewing and learn to use and care for a standard sewing machine. You will build your skills step-by-step through sewing a series of 12 projects. You will choose from a variety of pre-cut fabrics for the first 11 projects so you can focus on learning to sew and developing good sewing habits. Then you will learn to cut out using a pattern on the last project.
Projects made in class:
- Purse-sized Tissue Holder
- Shoe Bag
- Gift Bag
- Double Drawstring Bag
- Bag Caddie
- Bread Cloth
- Basic Pillowcase
- Lined Drawstring Bag
- Contrast Band Pillowcase
- Flange Pillow
- Tote Bag
Topics covered include:
- Learning to operate, control and care for the sewing machine
- How to develop good sewing habits
- Understanding different types of fabric
- How to sew straight lines and accurate seam allowances
- The importance and art of pressing
- Thread type, color and basic topstitching techniques
- Several seam finishes and lining
- Sewing casings for both drawstrings and elastic
- Trimming and turning corners
- Accent trim
- Sewing and clipping curves
- Constructing straps and patch pockets
- The basics of rotary cutting
- Introduction to cutting out with a pattern
You’ll be sewing most of the time, with a few short lectures throughout the day. There will be lots of time for asking questions and one-on-one help while you sew.
You’ll go home with the 12 projects you’ll sew in class, our new Learn to Sew book (with fully illustrated directions) and the knowledge that you really can sew!
Some comments by our students:
“I felt comfortable because I had plenty of time to work at my own pace.The days were fun and were not too long. It was so much fun!”—Texas
This class is from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
All our classes close 24 hours before the class date with the exception of classes that start on Monday, which will close the Friday before. If there’s a class that closed early that you’d like to attend, please call us at 254-754-9620 to check for availability.